Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cooking Lesson From the Heart

I asked the restaurant staff at our hotel if the chef would tell me how he made the masala they served. I could see the whole cumin, cardamom, cloves and taste the fresh ginger in it, it was so good. Today they came by as I finished breakfast and said "the chef is ready to show you now in the kitchen!"

I went in and he had set EVERYTHING out in a tidy order: a plate set up with four types of whole spices and 3 types of ground, all neatly piled in a circle. A package of tomato paste was out and opened, a part of a sliced green pepper, a part of a hot pepper, a carefully peeled tomato, a cup of water, butter and a pan. Then, he carefully went though each step and showed me the entire process. Then, he took me to a simmering pot of it and said this was different, this was how they make it if they want to take an hour, and he verbally took me through the steps. Then he made me taste both and asked what I thought about the differences.

Tonight he came by our table after we were finished and asked how we liked each part of each of our meals. I wanted to ask for another lesson on how he makes his coconut curry!

It's interactions like these that are so heartfelt, sincere, and sweet it takes your breath away. I can't talk to many people with much depth and sophistication due to language limitations (in fact, the boys will sometimes turn and whisper "MOM they DON'T understand you!") but these times make up for it ten fold.