Thursday, February 20, 2014

Coffee Around the World


 I took photos of coffee that I had around the world. There is something that seems so sweet and tender about someone making a coffee for you (or tea), particularly when they know the way you like it. The format is a bit funky with the photos and the last two, from Africa, are out of order.

In Belgium at a cafe. 
Lennie's mom, Marleen, made this for me one day at their house
See the so darling creamer and chocolate? Loved it. Nice creamy
head on the espresso too. Just was the nicest heartwarming touch.

In Paris.
A morning coffee on the overnight
Thello train the boys and I took between
Belgium and Italy. You'd think it'd be
bad, but it wasn't.
I loved in Europe that the coffee and
espresso cups had matching saucers.
Just makes it feel so intentional.
This is made by Gesi with the stovetop
espresso maker.
An early morning espresso alone... I made in the
Nespresso (best ever espresso maker!) at Chuck's house. It
was a sweet moment, quiet, beautiful, and the nice kitty
joined me. 
On our day trip to Venice. Seems like you
have to have at least one coffee there!
Thankfully Natasha, Gesi's mom,
was always up for getting a coffee too.

Really, does this count as a coffee? No.
It was a decedent and so sweet ice cream,
beautifully presented with coffee in it. In Italy.
Gesi's dad, Bashkim, makes her mom
an afternoon coffee when he is home.
 I found it incredibly touching and sweet. This
day he brought Gesi, Natasha (her mom)
and I each up a cup.
Gesi's family used a stove top espresso
maker. These happen to be the ones at
Govanna's Grandma's house.
We had the same one growing up.

Gesi bought me my stove top espresso maker to take home.
Here you can see it does not fit on the burner
at the B&B in Moshi. I only accidentally melted
a teeny bit of the handle once and never
actually burned myself ALL the way. They
had no pot holders. They also had a french press but
after breakfast time was over this is how I made
myself a coffee. I also made them for the gardener, Ben.


This is the very special Chugga coffee
Ben made me. Almost like what we think
of Cowboy coffee. He gave me the better,
'less grounds in the cup' cup, I noticed. 
When we were in Moshi, and while Paul was with classmates, the boys
and I took a weekend day trip to
the house of an ex-pat who turns her
place into a restaurant on the weekends.




While the boys and I were on safari, we had hot water,
powder coffee and powder milk. This is what happens
when you don't mix well enough.











When the boys and I were in Jinja, we went
to an Indian Restaurant. I love how O is
photo bombing this. Warm milk and powder coffee. This place had the biggest selection of Indian desserts we'd ever seen.
An espresso to go! They did have lids I just didn't take one-
 and yes it is in Styrofoam. In Jinja

One weekend when Paul was studying with a classmate the boys and I
treated ourselves to a 'fancy' American breakfast. We
thought the mint lemonade was like being at the country fair.



This was a very Westernized place in the
airport in Dubai. It totally took me back to
my childhood, making early morning drives to
Portland with my father when he would
make the occasional runs to pick supplies up
for the kitchen store. The original Bob's Red Mill being one of them.

Thai iced coffee in process..... Powdered milk
sweetened condensed milk,
evaporated milk and fresh milk.
Sri Lankan mid-day snack and warm milk
with powdered instant coffee.

Funny name for coffee stand in Bangkok.
Yes, it was good. 
A fast food place espresso in Taiwan!

Zanzibar coffee! From our first trip there as a family of 4.


How most of the coffee was in Africa. Or how locals drank it. Instant. 
You would get a carafe of hot water (or sometimes hot milk) 
and warm milk, powdered milk, or no milk. This was when the kids and I went back just the 3 of us.


Starbucks..... and obviously had Wi-Fi .This
was at a beautifully done cultural
heritage center in Taiwan.