Thursday, August 8, 2013

Last full day in Belgium

We had our last full day here. It is going to be hard to leave. We have been blessed and awash with so many warm loving people here. I hope we will have many Belgians come visit us but especially Lennie, Bart and Marleen of course Simon too- I would have to arrange fishing to tempt him.

Bart took the boys, Lennie and I for a day trip to Brugge. We went on an interesting tour of a religious place, I can't explain exactly what it was, not a convent, but a place for sisters. They built it when they were under persecution from the king and you couldn't be a Catholic in England so some time after 1535. We were giving a tour by a very stern nun, or sister, and I began to see how they may have gotten the reputation of being unpleasant teachers. There were some beautiful examples of faux marble painting, bright fresco and a type of mirror cut marble which is not often seen in real life but only in paintings, due to the complexity of making it. The boys and I have yet to really appreciate the reliquary, I mean I understand but it's hard to keep a neutral face at some of these dried up body parts.

Another note on how serious they are here about beer. Some breweries also have their own cheese to go with specific beer. 

I love the details in old cities. These are what keep one house's shutters open.

This windmill was used for grinding grain.
The boys went up inside it.

The boys, Lennie and Bart at the windmills in Brugge.

 Yesterday Marleen, her friend Kathleen (I think I am spelling that wrong) and I went to Antwerpen. Nice city with a nice new Museam, the MAS, that we enjoyed while it rained all day outside. I took a picture of them (below) at the main fountain which tells the story of a hero who defeated the giant, that used to cut off people's hands if they couldn't' pay to cross the river, by cutting off the hand of the giant. The name Antwerpen means throwing the hand, basically.

An additional beer story. This is a beer that is so special that you call to make a reservation to buy some (limit one case), then you can call to check on the time you can pick it up (but they tell you the line is probably going to be busy, just keep trying), they'll give you 24 hours notice when your time comes up to get your case, you have to register the car licence plates of the car you will pick it up in and also if you are able to complete all these steps? You can re-register to get our next purchase after a 60 day waiting period. Also if you miss your assigned pick up time (due to work or something) then you miss out.




My Grandma passed away yesterday at 4:30. My mom and aunt were lucky to have a care giver there with her who had been really caring for her and she was not in pain. One of her favorite memories from a USSR trip (yes not Russia, USSR) was when she left her tour group and ate some pie in a out of the way spot. We'll eat some dessert for her on an out of the way spot before we leave Europe.

More trivial note: I think I have figured out how to allow comments.